The U.S. Embassy in Ankara released a statement Sunday regarding a warning -which was published on its website on Friday- about a possible plot to attack a part of central Ankara and said the information was received from Turkish authorities.
Responding to speculations circulated on Turkish media that the embassy might have had the information before the attack, the statement said last week's warning was released after the embassy received intelligence from Turkish authorities about a possible attack.
"Embassy issued a notice to all American citizens in Ankara – both government employees and citizens – and to Turkish employees of the US Embassy, as we routinely do when we learn of Turkish government information about threats," the statement read.
A suicide car bomb ripped through a busy square in central Ankara on Sunday, killing 37 people and wounding 125, officials said, the latest in a spate of deadly attacks to hit Turkey.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu later said that 37 people were announced dead after the attack with the bodies of 35 victims handed over to their families. Davutoğlu also noted that one of the two remaining bodies belongs to the identified terrorist and the other is believed to be the co-conspirator of the identified terrorist.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.