Another person has died in a listeria outbreak caused by eating contaminated food in hospital, bringing the total number of deaths to six, Public Health England said on Thursday.
The individual who died at Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in southern England was one of nine confirmed cases of the infection, the public health agency said in a statement.
The deaths have been caused by an outbreak of listeria linked to sandwiches and salads at seven hospitals around the country.
"There have been no new cases of listeriosis linked to this outbreak," the statement said. "Our investigations continue and the public should be reassured that the risk continues to be low."
The listeria bacteria primarily develops in dairy products and chilled ready-to-eat food, according to Britain's National Health Service (NHS).
Listeria is a bacteria that usually causes mild illness in healthy people, but can be fatal to those with weakened immune systems.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.