Worst start by Fenerbahçe in 10 years

HAKAN BAŞ @hakanbash
Published 30.08.2016 01:19
Updated 30.08.2016 01:21
Worst start by Fenerbahçe in 10 years

The Yellow Canaries may have defeated Switzerland's Grasshoppers in the Champions League but domestically they look lost after failing to win either of their first two games of the season. After being defeated by Medipol Başakşehir 1-0 in the first week of the Spor Toto Super League, Fenerbahçe needed a miraculous last-minute equalizer to draw 3-3 with Kayserispor.

Fener played their first home game of the season at the Ülker Şükrü Saraçoğlu stadium in Kadıköy on Sunday night. Fans were hopeful of their team's first win, against visitors Kayserispor, but things went wrong again. Fortunately for Fenerbahçe they saved a point in the last minute. Fenerbahçe played 52 minutes of the match with a man down after their star defender Simon Kjaer was a shown red card in the 38th minute. Fenerbahçe finish the first two weeks without winning a game, for the first time in 10 years. Kayserispor went ahead with Welliton Soares de Morais's goal in the 27th minute but Fenerbahçe responded with Kjaer's goal three minutes later from a free kick. Although Fenerbahçe were a man down after Kjaer's red card, the Yellow Canaries preferred to attack.

Ozan Tufan's goal brought hope to Fenerbahçe in the 44th minute. However Kayserispor balanced the score with Welliton's goal just one minute later. In the second half of the game coach Dick Advocaat took a risk and had his squad play with two forwards with Robin van Persie coming off the bench. But Kayserispor defended well and found the goal with a counter-attack in the 90th minute with Ufuk Budak's goal. Just as Fenerbahçe's hopes were fading away, Alper Potuk found the net miraculously in the 93rd minute. Fenerbahçe's coach Dick Advocaat said, "We can easily make up for these points that we lost." Kayserispor coach Hakan Kutlu said after the match, "If they offered us a 3-3 draw before the match, we would have gladly accepted but we are very sad now."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter