Turkish authorities ordered the detention of 139 staff from Ankara municipalities and two ministries in an investigation targeting supporters of the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), accused of being behind last July's failed coup.
Detention warrants were issued Wednesday for 60 staff members at the Ankara Metropolitan Municipality, 19 workers at the Keçiören, Sincan and Kahramankazan district municipalities, 30 staff at the Ministry of Development and 30 at the Ministry of Education.
State-run Anadolu news agency said the municipality staff, some of whom had previously been dismissed from their jobs, were found to have used ByLock, an encrypted messaging app the government says was used by FETÖ members before the coup attempt
In a separate operation in the central province of Konya, arrest warrants were issued for 115 suspects accused of leading FETÖ-linked groups within the military. So far, 30 suspects have been detained, while police continue to search for the remaining suspects.
A hacker group under name "Peace at Home Council," the self-given title for the list of the leading putschist military officers during the July 15 coup attempt, was targeted in an operation in Kayseri. Following a five-month-long secret operation, ten suspects from the group were detained Wednesday and charged with conducting cyber-attacks targeting the Parliament, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, opposition Nationalist Movement Part (MHP) Chairman Devlet Bahçeli, National Intelligence Organization (MIT) Chief Hakan Fidan and various other high ranking officials.
In western Edirne province bordering Greece, four people with suspected ties to the FETÖ and PKK nabbed trying to illegally cross the border.
In separate operations, 95 people were detained and 13 others, including on-duty or former civil servants and military officials, were arrested for charges including using the Bylock app or funding the shadowy group.
Ankara accuses FETÖ, led by Fetullah Gülen who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States for almost 20 years, of infiltrating Turkish institutions, including the judiciary, police and military in a decades-long campaign.
Since the attempted coup that resulted in the death of 250 people and injured 2,200 others, authorities have jailed pending trial 50,000 people and sacked or suspended 150,000 from a wide range of professions including those in the military profession, police, teachers and public servants, over alleged links to terrorist organizations.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.