Saudi-led airstrikes kill at least 14 civilians in Yemen's capital Sanaa

COMPILED FROM WIRE SERVICES
ISTANBUL
Published 25.08.2017 11:19
Updated 25.08.2017 11:30
Smoke rises from the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa, September 26, 2015. (Reuters Photo)
Smoke rises from the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa, September 26, 2015. (Reuters Photo)

Fourteen people including children were killed in Saudi-led airstrikes Friday in a residential neighborhood of Yemen's capital Sanaa, witnesses said.

The strikes reportedly destroyed two buildings.

The witnesses said the attack took please overnight and into the morning hours on Friday in the city's southern neighborhood of Fag Attan. The death toll was expected to rise further as rescuers pull more victims from under the rubble.

Mohammed Ahmad, who lived in one of the buildings in the southern neighborhood of Fag Attan, said he was among residents who had taken nine bodies to a hospital.

Earlier this week, coalition fighter jets struck a hotel in Arhab, north of Sanaa, killing at least 41 people.

The Saudi-led coalition is waging an air campaign against Yemen's Shiite rebels and forces loyal to a former president. The alliance controls much of northern Yemen, including Sanaa. The coalition is trying to restore the internationally recognized government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi to power.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter