President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan strongly condemned Thursday's Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) attack on the Syrian town of Kobani and he criticized those who claim that Turkey is in cooperation with the terrorist organization. "We condemn the hateful attack of the terrorist organization ISIS, which has targeted innocent civilians in the town of Kobani," said Erdoğan.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu also said Turkey proved its stance against ISIS and refuted claims that Turkey played a part in Thursday's Kobani attacks. Davutoğlu said, "Those who are in cooperation with ISIS continue to spread slander that Turkey is supporting the terrorist organization, even though no one has been able to prove that Turkey played a part in today's Kobani attack and nor will they ever be able to do so."
He also criticized HDP Co-Chair Figen Yüksekdağ for her remarks in which she said Turkey must prove that it is not supporting ISIS. "There is no such thing as proving something does not exist. Turkey has proved its stance against ISIS in the first place, we are the first country that designated ISIS as a terrorist organization. I call on Yüksekdağ and others to offer an apology for their accusations," said Davutoğlu.
Earlier on Thursday some media outlets like the BBC and Reuters had claimed that ISIS militants entered Kobani through Turkey's Mürşitpınar border crossing in the Suruç district of the southeastern Şanlıurfa province. President Erdoğan strongly denied any sort of cooperation with such a violent attack and added that "Nobody has the right to associate Turkey with terrorist organizations."
Erdoğan emphasized that Turkey never turned its back on those in need and never closed its gates to those who suffered. "Hence, as Turkey we took the injured Syrian civilians to our hospitals immediately after the attack. About 130 wounded people were brought to hospitals in Turkey for treatment."