The lawyer of Enis Berberoğlu, an arrested Republican People's Party (CHP) deputy, filed an appeal to contest the prison sentence handed down in the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) trucks case. Berberoğlu was found guilty of supplying confidential information regarding the country's intelligence service.
Berberoğlu's lawyer, Murat Ergün, filed the appeal to Istanbul's 14th Criminal Court, demanding Berberoğlu's discharge and acquittal.
Ergün stated that it was not proven that Berberoğlu was the one who gave the documents regarding the MİT trucks to the former executive director of Cumhuriyet Daily, Can Dündar.
Stating that Berberoğlu was not even a deputy during the time that the documents were claimed to be given to Dündar, Ergün said that in Dündar's book he mentioned that the documents were given to him by a "deputy." He also stated that there was no difference between the meeting that Berberoğlu and Dündar had on May 27, where a 22-second video was taken, and any other meeting they had before.
Ergün further said that there was manipulation of perception in the media, starting five months before the accusation, adding that the investigation for the ultimate decision was not enough.
Facing charges in the MİT trucks case, Berberoğlu was among the deputies that lost their parliamentary immunity last year, when a government-sponsored bill stripped the protection from 138 lawmakers with pending charges.
In January 2014, trucks belonging to MİT carrying aid to northern Syria, where Turkmens had been exposed to heavy airstrikes and attacks under the Bashar Assad regime, were stopped and intercepted by security forces upon the orders of former Adana Public Prosecutor Özcan Şişman and Brig. Gen. Hamza Celepoğlu.The supplies in the trucks were seized and MİT personnel were handcuffed before being detained.
It was later revealed that the raid was a plot by the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ) to embarrass and discredit the government via its followers, who had infiltrated the army and judiciary.
Recently, Istanbul's 15th Criminal Court had evaluated and rejected the Berberoğlu's appeal against his 25-year prison sentence for military or political spying.