DECISION TO COME FROM ISTANBUL'S FORENSIC DEPARTMENT
The court has sent medical reports for both Evren and Şahinkaya to Ankara's Forensic Medicine Department in order to determine whether the suspects are fit to face trial in court. Although Ankara's ruling arrived to court in a sealed envelope, Chief Judge Süleyman İnce stated that Ankara's Forensic Medicine Department was not qualified to make a ruling on this issue and therefore he has requested the document be sent to Istanbul for a final ruling. Meanwhile, plaintiff attorneys are requesting reports from the Turkish Medical Association as well as independent doctors.
Victims share with SABAH their memories of the 1980 coup era:
* SAKİNE ARAT: I lost four of my children in Diyarbakır prisons. My daughter was unable to handle what happened and committed suicide. I was sentenced to one year of house arrest and forbidden to attend demonstrations as penalization for constantly talking about the situation. I lost five of my children. How could I not talk about it?
* MÜRVET ESENDAĞ: My child never threw stones at soldiers or the police, yet he was given the death sentence. Without witnesses or proof, they stuck him in a cell. They wouldn't let us speak with him. In the end he was hung. Those responsible for this will have to face up to God.
* GÜLŞAT TAĞAÇ: My son Oğlum Enver Tağaç spent eight years in prison in which he was subjected to countless instances of torture. After he was released from prison, he was killed in the middle of the street by 32 bullets. I died on that same day. Those responsible for doing this to my son were never found. Those who committed torture will now pay the price, they have to.
* NACİ SÖNMEZ (THE SON OF FORMER FATSA MAYOR FİKRİ SÖNMEZ): I lost my father in 1981. I applied to be a plaintiff at the time, however my request was refused. I am here now to hold them accountable.
* SALİM BAĞ: My brother Bekir Bağ was put in prison because he was of the nationalist persuasion. As he was praying in the Mamak penitentiary he was killed from behind with the butt of a rifle. They said that he hung himself. He was just 18 years old… We have been burning for years, now it is their turn to burn.
* FUAT ALKAN: We were just young kids writing on a wall. We ended up serving ten years in jail for it. We were tortured every day. My wounds are still fresh. I have nationalist brothers that are still in prison. We are here to hold them accountable.
* KAMBER ATEŞ: When my mother came to see me in Mamak Penitentiary, because she didn't speak Turkish and Kurdish was forbidden, all she could say was "How are you?" When it comes to the torture, where do I begin… Everyone responsible should be held accountable, not just the two of them.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.