PM Davutoğlu assures killers of Elçi will be brought to justice

Published 29.11.2015 00:12
Updated 02.12.2015 16:22
emAA Photo/em
AA Photo

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said on Saturday that the Justice and Development (AK) Party government will not allow unidentified murders during their period and added that the those behind the killing of Tahir Elçi will be found.

Prime Minister Davutoğlu, answering the questions of reporters in Ankara, said that no matter who the attackers were, their target was not only Tahir Elçi, but also Turkey.

Tahir Elçi, Chairman of the Diyarbakır Bar Association, was killed in a crossfire on Saturday after giving a press release in Turkey's southeastern Diyarbakır province.

Elçi, along with other lawyers, was in the area to give a press release against ongoing clashes between security forces and PKK terrorists in the area.

Following the press statement given next to the historic Dört Ayaklı Minaret which was harmed during the clashes, the group, including Elçi and accompanying security forces, were attacked by PKK terrorists with automatic rifles and rockets.

Two police officers, along with Elçi were killed, three journalists and one police officer were injured.

Prime Minister Davutoğlu called Elçi's family after the incident and expressed his condolences to them.

Davutoğlu said that there are currently two different scenarios that could have possibly killed the Kurdish lawyer:

The first scenario is a PKK terror assassination targeting Elçi and his second scenario is that Elçi got stuck in a crossfire and was hit by a bullet from either side.

Davutoğlu said the ballistic report will uncover who the shooter was and will be brought to justice.

According to the preliminary autopsy report, Elçi was shot from a long distance, ruling out the possibility that he might have been shot accidentally by a police officer since the police officers were only meters away from him.

Meanwhile, Ministry of the Interior launched an investigation to find the attacker and released a statement describing the incident after Davutoğlu's speech.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter