World condemns terror attack in Istanbul, EU pledges counterterror cooperation
by Daily Sabah with Reuters
ISTANBULJan 12, 2016 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Daily Sabah with Reuters
Jan 12, 2016 12:00 am
Leaders of the international community extended condolences to Turkey for the bombing near Sultanahmet in Istanbul on Tuesday, while European Union officials made statements pledging unity with Turkey, "against all forms of terrorism."
Federica Mogherini, European Union High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, and Johannes Hahn, Commissioner for European Neighborhood Policy, issued a joint statement. Mogherini and Hahn noted that the fight against terrorism was recognized as a priority at last year's EU-Turkey summit and, "we must step up our efforts in this regard in full respect of our obligations under international law, including human rights and humanitarian law."
European Council President Donald Tusk Tweeted his condemnation of the "brutal terrorist attack" in both English and Turkish.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg issued a condemnation and said, "there can be no justification for such attacks. All NATO allies stand united in the fight against all forms of terrorism."
Meanwhile, The U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon released a statement condemning the attack and offering his condolences.
"This despicable crime targeting the heart of Istanbul's tourist district has reportedly claimed the lives of ten people and injured at least 15 others," the statement said.
U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter Daesh, Brett McGurk also shared a tweet saying: "Strongly condemn suicide attack in heart of Istanbul and stand with the people of Turkey in our common fight against ISIL terrorists," using another acronym used for Daesh.
"This heinous attack occurred in Istanbul's historic heart, and struck Turks and foreign tourists alike," National Security Council spokesman Ned Price also said in a statement.
Price said Washington stood with NATO ally Turkey, a valued partner in the counter-Daesh coalition, and pledged "our ongoing cooperation and support in the fight against terrorism."
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said Germany condemned the heinous attack in Turkey, and they would stand with Turkey against terrorism.
French President Francois Hollande also sent a message over Twitter saying that he denounces the terror attack in Istanbul, Turkey, that left 10 dead.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said that he condemns the attack in Turkey and expressed France's solidarity with the Turkish people.
U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron called President Erdoğan over the phone on Tuesday evening to offer his condolences. Cameron also emphasized that U.K. stands by Turkey in its fight against terror.
The National Coalition, which brings together Syrian opposition movements, released a statement condemning the terrorist attack. The Coalition "expressed its appreciation of Turkey for supporting the Syrian uprising," and said it would continue to strive against "terrorist plans."
Greece's Foreign Ministry expressed condolences for the victims, and officials said in a statement that Greece was in solidarity with the people of Turkey after the attack.
John Bass, U.S. ambassador in Ankara, tweeted that they were closely following the reports of the explosion and their thoughts were with "those affected."