PKK bomber in Istanbul twin blasts came from Syria, FM Çavuşoğlu says

DAILY SABAH
ISTANBUL
Published
PKK bomber in Istanbul twin blasts came from Syria, FM Çavuşoğlu says

Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said late Wednesday that one of the bombers that perpetrated the twin blasts in central Istanbul last week came from Syria a week before the incident.

"One of the PKK members came from Syria a week before the terror attack," he said.

Two bombs exploded in a terrorist attack in central Istanbul last Saturday, close to Vodafone Arena in Beşiktaş district. One of the explosions was due to a suicide bomber and the other was a car packed with explosives.

The attacks left 44 people dead and 155 wounded. 14 of the wounded are currently under intensive care.

A day later, the terror attacks were claimed by PKK's suicide team, the Kurdistan Freedom Hawks (TAK).

In the north of the war-torn country, the PKK's Syrian branch PYD and its armed wing YPG established the so-called "cantons" on the Turkish border. Despite claiming to be two seperate organizations, both groups usually exchange arms and militants, also collaborating in terror attacks in Turkey.

One of the suicide bombers that attacked Ankara, Abdülbaki Sömer also came from Syria.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter