China commits to buy at least $17B in US agro products annually
U.S. President Donald Trump walks with Chinese President Xi Jinping upon arrival at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, May 14, 2026. (Reuters Photo)


China has agreed to buy at ​least $17 billion of U.S. agricultural products in 2026, 2027 and 2028, ⁠the White House said ⁠in a fact sheet released on Sunday.

The commitment was made during meetings between U.S. President ​Donald Trump and Chinese President ​Xi ⁠Jinping last week, the White House said.

The $17 billion figure does not include the soybean purchase commitments China made in October 2025, the White House said.

There has been a marked reduction in U.S. agricultural exports to China after last year's rounds of tit-for-tat tariffs sharply curtailed trade, which fell 65.7% year-over-year to $8.4 billion in 2025, according ⁠to ⁠U.S. Department of Agriculture data.

China has dramatically scaled back its reliance on U.S. farm goods since Trump's first term, sourcing roughly 20% of its soybeans from the U.S. in 2024, the year before he returned to office, down from 41% in 2016.

China will work with U.S. regulators ⁠to lift suspensions of U.S. beef facilities and resume imports of poultry from U.S. states determined to be free ​of avian influenza, the White House said.

Confirming earlier statements from ​the Chinese government, the White House also said on Sunday the world's two ⁠largest economies ‌would ‌establish a U.S.-China Board of Trade ⁠and the U.S.-China Board of ‌Investment.

The boards will resolve concerns over market access for agricultural ​products and expand ⁠trade "under a reciprocal tariff-reduction framework,” Chinese Foreign ⁠Minister Wang Yi said in a statement last ⁠week.