Brazilian football icon Roberto Carlos reportedly embraces Islam
Brazilian former footballer Roberto Carlos poses during a "FIFA Legends" photocall prior to the 2026 World Cup football tournament final match between Spain and Argentina at the New York/New Jersey Stadium in East Rutherford, July 19, 2026. (AFP Photo)


Brazilian football legend and former Fenerbahçe star Roberto Carlos reportedly converted to Islam in Brazil about four weeks ago, according to a Turkish lawmaker citing a prominent Muslim community leader.

The claim was made public by Ali Şahin, a lawmaker from Türkiye's ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), following meetings with representatives of Brazil's Muslim community in Sao Paulo.

Şahin said he learned about Carlos' reported conversion from Sheikh Jihad Hammadeh, a prominent figure in Brazil's Muslim community and vice president and religious adviser of the National Association of Islamic Jurists (ANAJI).

According to Şahin, Hammadeh said Carlos had been in contact with him for some time and visited him about four weeks ago, when the former footballer recited the shahada, the Islamic declaration of faith, and embraced Islam.

Şahin announced the development in a social media post following a meeting with Hammadeh and other representatives of Brazil's Muslim community at the Islamic Charitable Youth League of Brazil in Sao Paulo.

He congratulated Carlos on reportedly embracing Islam and wished him and his family peace, health and prosperity.

The meeting was attended by several representatives of Muslim organizations in Brazil, including Islamic Charitable Youth League President Charif Neto, Pari Mosque Foundation President Omar Aref and representatives of ANAJI and other Islamic charitable and educational organizations.

He also recently married Suhayla At Tohiri, a prominent Moroccan-born football agent based in Spain.

Carlos, 53, is regarded as one of the greatest left backs in football history. The Brazilian spent much of his career at Real Madrid before joining Turkish powerhouse Fenerbahçe in 2007.

Carlos himself has not publicly confirmed his reported conversion.