Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change Minister Murat Kurum shared footage of the ongoing urban transformation efforts in Istanbul's Zeytinburnu district on his social media account, saying "Our Istanbul continues to become stronger, safer and transform through 'Half is on Us' campaign."
According to a statement, the ministry aims to accelerate urban transformations across Istanbul. As part of the campaign, homeowners seeking to renovate their properties are offered up to TL 875,000 ($18,250) in grants, up to TL 875,000 in loans and TL 125,000 ($2,600) in relocation support per housing unit.
So far, over 384,000 independent units in Istanbul have been included in the transformation process under the coordination of the Urban Transformation Directorate. Zeytinburnu is among the districts with the highest demand. The transformation of 5,056 independent units in 515 high-risk buildings has been completed in the district.
The campaign has been extended through Dec. 31, 2026. Anyone whose home or workplace is identified as a high-risk structure by that date will be eligible to benefit from the program.
Simultaneous renewals
In the Seyitnizam neighborhood of Istanbul’s Zeytinburnu district, three streets have simultaneously entered the urban transformation process. Of the 117 buildings on these streets, the transformation of 50 has been completed, while core samples have been taken from the remaining 67 structures. Demolition has begun on eight buildings whose risk assessment process has been completed. The remaining 67 buildings will be transformed simultaneously under the "Half Is on Us” campaign.
Sharing footage from the neighborhood on his social media account, Kurum said: "Our Istanbul continues to become stronger, safer and more resilient through our ‘Half Is on Us’ campaign. This is Zeytinburnu’s Seyitnizam neighborhood, where 67 buildings are being transformed simultaneously.”
Preparing Istanbul
Oğuzhan Çiftçi, head of the Transformation Services Department at the Urban Transformation Directorate, said more than 5,000 independent units in Zeytinburnu are receiving support from the 'Half Is on Us' campaign.
Zeytinburnu currently ranks third, following the Bahçelievler and Avcılar districts, Çiftçi said. Emphasizing that Istanbul faces a significant earthquake risk, he said the "Half Is on Us” campaign offers an important opportunity to reduce this risk.
"We have gained significant momentum in this regard. As our minister has announced, the campaign will conclude at the end of the year, and all independent units that complete the risk assessment and approval process by then will be able to benefit,” he said.
Urging citizens to take action, Çiftçi added: "I invite all our citizens to make the most of this limited time and not miss this historic opportunity. As the Ministry of Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change, our primary goal is to prepare Istanbul for earthquakes, and we continue working day and night to achieve this.”
Local residents said they were happy about the prospect of having earthquake-resistant homes.