Following is the list of the films in competition, listed by the nationality of the director:
* Sleeping Beauty/Julia Leigh
-- Starring Emily Browning, the film is about a student drawn into a hidden world where old wealthy men have their way with her while she sleeps under heavy sedation.
* Michael/Markus Schleinzer
-- A debut film about the problematic relationship between a 10-year-old boy and a 35-year-old man.
* The Kid With A Bike/Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
-- The Boy with the bike is about a child who turns to a young woman after being abandoned by his father.
* We Need To Talk About Kevin/Lynne Ramsay
-- Starring Tilda Swinton and John C Reilly. A film about parents whose son carried out killings in a school.
* Melancholia/Lars Von Trier
-- Starring Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Kiefer Sutherland, this is an end-of-the-world sci-fi drama about a planet that appears to be on a collision course with Earth.
* Drive/Nicolas Winding Refn
-- Drive stars Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan in a film about a stunt driver moonlighting as a criminal getaway driver.
* Le Havre/Aki Kaurismaki
-- A comedy drama about a shoe shiner who saves an immigrant child in Le Havre.
* L'Apollonide/Bertrand Bonello
-- A movie about a brothel where a prostitute has been disfigured with a "permanent grin."
* Pater/Alain Cavalier
-- Vincent and Alain decide to play men of power in a film in which truth and fiction are blurred.
* Polisse/Maiwenn Le Besco
-- A crime reporter covering juveniles has an affair with a tough cop
* La Source des Femmes/Radu Mihaileanu (born in Romania)
-- A battle of the sexes comedy
* The Artist/Michel Hazanavicius
-- A silent movie star faces oblivion as the "talkies" take over in Hollywood
* Hearat Shulayim (Footnote)/Joseph Cedar
-- Cedar will premiere his film about two competing professors who are father and son.
* Habemus Papam/Nanni Moretti
-- Starring Michel Piccoli as a Pope struggling with his responsibilities.
* This Must Be The Place/Paolo Sorrentino
-- Starring Sean Penn as a retired rock star seeking out his father's killer.
* Hanezu No Tsuki/Naomi Kawase
-- A film about the Asuka area from ancient to modern times.
* Ichimei (Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai)/Takashi Miike
-- A 3-D remake of Masaki Kobayashi's 1962 film "Seppuku," also known as "Harakiri."
* La Piel Que Habito (The Skin I Live In)/Pedro Almodovar
-- With Antonio Banderas, who plays a surgeon out for revenge.
* Bir Zamanlar Anadolu'da (Once Upon a Time in Anatolia)/Nuri Bilge Ceylan
-- About a doctor in Anatolia.
* The Tree of Life/Terrence Malick
-- Starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn in a tale of a family with three sons set in the 1950s.