Several countries cleanse Gülenist members from institutions

DAILY SABAH
ISTANBUL
Published 03.08.2016 14:45
Updated 03.08.2016 15:15

Following a deadly attempted coup on July 15 by a military junta loyal to the Gülenist Terror Organization (FETÖ) led by Fethullah Gülen, several countries have started to dismiss FETÖ members from different institutions, in an attempt to prevent the terrorist organization from staging a similar coup.

Sudan's President Omar Bashir ordered the closure of all FETÖ charter schools in Sudan. Bashir was one of the few leaders to call President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan during the night of the coup attempt.

Azerbaijan has made efforts to stop FETÖ as well. On Friday, the Court of Appeals in Azerbaijan's capital of Baku ordered a privately-owned television station to close. The court upheld a motion by the National Council on Television and Radio to strip the ANS station of its broadcasting license after it announced their intention to broadcast an interview with Gülen, the putative FETÖ leader.

The channel was ordered to provisionally stop broadcasting for a month on July 18 after authorities said the reporting of ANS ran counter to a strategic partnership between the two nations and "to prevent overt terrorist propaganda." Azerbaijan, a Turkic nation, shares strong ties with Turkey.

Pakistan is also aware of the FETÖ threat. In a joint press conference in Islamabad this week, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said Pakistani officials are well aware of FETÖ activities and that they are cooperating in joint measures against them. While Çavuşoğlu asserted that Turkish and Pakistani officials are working to avoid any disruption for students attending Gülen schools and their families, Pakistani sources previously indicated that the Pakistani government is ready to hand over to Turkish authorities control of the schools which are tied to Gülen.

Çavuşoğlu said Turkish authorities have given official documents and evidence of FETÖ activities in these schools and institutions to Pakistan. Pakistani Foreign Office spokesman Nafees Zakaria said, "In essence, in keeping with the cordial relations between the two countries, we are maintaining close contact with Turkey to address the matter in a manner that fully addresses Turkey's concerns as well as those of the students."

Even though the aforementioned countries announced that they will clamp down on FETÖ institutions, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan previously said that FETÖ schools in their countries will not be shut down.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter