Author's murder case reopened amid FETÖ developments
by Daily Sabah with Wires
ISTANBULOct 01, 2016 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Daily Sabah with Wires
Oct 01, 2016 12:00 am
Necip Hablemitoğlu was an academic known for his books and articles on controversial issues. In 2002, Hablemitoğlu's murder outside his home in the capital, Ankara, triggered many conspiracy theories. Fourteen years after his death, conspiracy theorists claim he was killed by a group who feared he would expose their wrongdoings. This theory may prove true. Prosecutors launched a new investigation into the case, which remains unsolved to this day. The new investigation is based upon the suspicion that his death might be linked to his books in which he exposed information on the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), as well as other groups. The late academic's wife, Şengül Hablemitoğlu, gave a seven-hour interview with a newly assigned prosecutor on the case and spoke to reporters afterwards, noting that investigators were looking into the murder's links to FETÖ. FETÖ is accused of masterminding the foiled putsch attempt on July 15. The group is also accused of a string of other crimes ranging from running a terrorist organization, money laundering, extortion and blackmail. The terror cult is also accused of imprisoning its critics by sham trials through fabricated evidence with the aid of infiltrators within law enforcement and the judiciary system.
Şengül Hablemitoğlu said the previous investigations concerning the murder "sort of" covered up the case and she was now "hopeful" for this new inquiry. "We finally have a prosecutor, after 14 years, and we have a chance to review the case," she said. Hablemitoğlu added that although they did not talk about FETÖ's connection to the murder, the investigators were already focusing on this angle, especially suspicions that a proper investigation was not conducted for the murder. The Gülenist terror cult was influential in the judiciary system for years and its members are implicated in obstructing or covering up several cases for the cult's interests. Şengül Hablemitoğlu said that there was "a serious cover-up" in the case and the new prosecutor would most likely start from scratch for a proper investigation.
The family's lawyer, Ersan Barkın, said although FETÖ links were not openly cited, it was "clear" why the investigation was reopened "at this time," referring to post-coup crackdown on Gülenists. "The victim was penning articles on FETÖ in the late 90s and he was killed after his articles and books were printed. We are certain the prosecutors will look into the case and collect evidence again. It is possible that (FETÖ infiltrators in the judicial system and police) turned a blind eye to this case or at the very least deliberately obstructed the investigation process. Investigators are now reviewing any pertinent clues, from empty shells found at the scene to phone records," he told reporters. Hablemitoğlu, originally an academic studying the history of the Republic of Turkey, made a name for himself for his books and articles detailing how German non-governmental organizations worked to organize protests against gold mines in western Turkey. He later focused his work on Gülenists, who had been infiltrating state institutions, from the bureaucracy to military, for decades. He had been receiving death threats by the time he was shot dead three months before the publication of his book "Köstebek" (Insider). The book details the methods used by Gülenists to infiltrate the state. His book is widely considered the first comprehensive study of the Gülenist infiltration of Turkey.
Hablemitoğlu's suspicious death is also under investigation in relation to another case. The Chief Public Prosecutor's office in the western city of İzmir, where the terror cult's leader, Fethullah Gülen, started to gain followers for his cult, added Hablemitoğlu's name to an indictment on FETÖ, along with Haydar Meriç and Aytunç Altındal. Like Hablemitoğlu, Meriç and Altındal, were two journalists writing, or planning to write, a book about Gülenists before their suspicious deaths. "Journalists and writers have been insisting that FETÖ is a cult working for foreign intelligence agencies, such as the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Britian's Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) and the West German Intelligence Agency (BND) who, in turn, use their own members to infiltrate other countries."... "The suspicious deaths of the writer and journalists Hablemitoğlu, Meriç and Altındal, who wrote books about FETÖ, and the false accusations made about Ahmet Şık, Hanefi Avcı and Nedim Şener who wrote or were about to write a book on the terror cult are also points that should be focused on," the indictment says.
Journalist Haydar Meriç was kidnapped on May 31, 2011 in Kırklareli after he announced his plans for a compilation book on FETÖ. Despite all efforts to find him, his body turned up in Düzce's district of Akçakoca on June 18, 2011. After the death of the journalist, the public prosecutor's office launched an investigation of Meriç who was wiretapped after false claims that he was a member of a leftist-terror organization. As a part of the investigation, a large inquery was launched into senior bureaucrats, politicians and members of certain NGOs. Nine people were arrested.
Writer and investigative journalist Aytunç Altındal, who wrote various books and articles on religion, philosophy and secret organizations, died on Nov. 18, 2013. His family claimed that he was poisoned with Polonium 213; however, it has not yet been officially determined.