Daily Sabah logo

Politics
Diplomacy Legislation War On Terror EU Affairs Elections News Analysis
TÜRKİYE
Istanbul Education Investigations Minorities Expat Corner Diaspora
World
Mid-East Europe Americas Asia Pacific Africa Syrian Crisis Islamophobia
Business
Automotive Economy Energy Finance Tourism Tech Defense Transportation News Analysis
Lifestyle
Health Environment Travel Food Fashion Science Religion History Feature Expat Corner
Arts
Cinema Music Events Portrait Reviews Performing Arts
Sports
Football Basketball Motorsports Tennis
Opinion
Columns Op-Ed Reader's Corner Editorial
PHOTO GALLERY
JOBS ABOUT US RSS PRIVACY CONTACT US
© Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2026

Daily Sabah - Latest & Breaking News from Turkey | Istanbul

  • Politics
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • Elections
    • News Analysis
  • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Expat Corner
    • Diaspora
  • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • Islamophobia
  • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
  • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
  • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Reviews
    • Performing Arts
  • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
  • Gallery
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
  • TV

Colonel at heart of coup bid mocks court, sticks to denial

by Daily Sabah

ANKARA Aug 26, 2017 - 12:00 am GMT+3
Gendarmeries escort u00d6zu00e7etin to court.
Gendarmeries escort u00d6zu00e7etin to court.
by Daily Sabah Aug 26, 2017 12:00 am

Ahmet Özçetin, head of operations at Akıncı Air Base, the command base of last year's FETÖ-linked coup bid, mocked the court in his defense and denied his involvement in the airstrikes that killed scores of people during the attempt despite evidence and testimonies

Col. Ahmet Özçetin was the highest-ranking officer to direct operations at Akıncı Air Base in the capital Ankara on July 15, 2016, when the coup attempt unfolded. Özçetin, who stands accused of coordinating air assaults across the capital that killed dozens of civilians and cooperating with other putschists loyal to the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), defended himself in a trial Friday. He claimed that the court would even declare him guilty of "burning Rome."

His defense was almost a duplicate of other defendants who stuck to denial of their involvement in the coup although all evidence points out that they openly tried to seize power from anti-coup officers and others. His defense comes after evidence was presented in court, including images of Özçetin joined by other pro-coup officers and testimonies of dozens of putschist officers who claimed they were "invited" to the base by the colonel on July 15. Özçetin was also in contact with other pro-coup officers while coordinating the Ankara leg of the takeover.

Questioned by prosecutors and lawyers for the plaintiffs, Özçetin said he "did not make phone calls" to other putschists, claiming he did not have his cellphone on him. He even denied security camera footage showing him with other putschists. "It looks like me," he said, while he clearly identified Hakan Evrim and Hakan Karakuş, two other co-defendants in the case. He also claimed that Gen. Abidin Ünal, the Air Force commander who was abducted by putschists and taken to the Akıncı base, was "not forcibly brought" to the base. Özçetin also denied accusations that he ordered troops to "raid TV stations" and "disperse [the anti-coup] crowd in Kızılay [Square]."

When prosecutors read out excerpts from intercepted radio communications of pro-coup pilots that showed it was Özçetin who ordered the airstrikes across Ankara, the former colonel said it was not him.

Özçetin is among 486 defendants in the Akıncı trial being held at a courtroom inside a prison complex in Ankara's Sincan district. The trial started the first week of August with Fetullah Gülen, the U.S.-based leader of FETÖ, as the "number one" suspect. FETÖ is accused of planting its men in the army and instructing them to carry out the putsch bid.

In a hearing Thursday, Özçetin stated that he did not invite Hakan Çiçek, owner of a FETÖ-linked school, to the Akıncı base on July 15. Çiçek was among the "civilians" captured in or near the base after the coup attempt and claimed he visited the base upon an invitation by Özçetin. The colonel said he did not know who Çiçek was. Along with Çiçek, Adil Öksüz, Kemal Batmaz, Harun Biniş and Nurettin Oruç were also captured in connection with the coup attempt. Öksüz is accused of masterminding the attempt, but he remains at large after being controversially released. All of the "civilians" in question are closely linked to FETÖ, though they claimed they were in or near Akıncı by coincidence.

At the trial that opened earlier this month, all of the defendants face aggravated life sentences. The indictment charges the suspects, including 25 generals, of trying to topple the government through armed insurrection.

Gülenists had been infiltrating the army, law enforcement, judiciary and bureaucracy for decades, prosecutors say, before they moved to seize power in two coup attempts in 2013 through their infiltrators in the judiciary and police and, finally, by infiltrators in the army.

Fetullah Gülen denies any links to the coup, but evidence surfaced after the thwarted attempt showing that he actually gave approval for the plot to seize power by FETÖ-linked military officers, ranging from generals to noncommissioned officers.

  • shortlink copied
  • KEYWORDS
    türkiye
    The Daily Sabah Newsletter
    Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey, it’s region and the world.
    You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    No Image
    Surfing dogs, Ukraine war, Trump FBI raid: This week's top pics
    PHOTOGALLERY
    • POLITICS
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • News Analysis
    • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Diaspora
    • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • İslamophobia
    • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
    • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Performing Arts
    • Reviews
    • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
    • Photo gallery
    • DS TV
    • Jobs
    • privacy
    • about us
    • contact us
    • RSS
    © Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2021