A business executive and his wife died and their sons were hospitalized when the couple's eldest son served them sherbet laced with cyanide.
Twenty-one-year-old Mahmut Can Kalkan was arrested after he was treated for a slight case of poisoning. The chemistry student is accused of tricking his parents to try his "new sherbet" in the family's home in the western İzmir's Bayraklı district.
When the couple sipped the cold drink, traditionally consumed in the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, they fell ill. Kalkan tried to force feed his brothers, 16-year-old Mehmet Taha and 4-year-old Emir Can with the poisoned drink but it spilled on them and him by accident. Police and paramedics arrived at the scene after his mother Fatma Kalkan managed to alert their neighbors.
The mother and father died later at the hospital while Mahmut Can and his brothers were discharged after treatment. Police detained the young man later.
Media outlets reported that the suspect, who was studying chemistry at İzmir's Dokuz Eylül University, was also involved in online commerce but recently suffered from commercial losses and was having psychological troubles. On his Facebook account, Kalkan says he was working as e-commerce consultant.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.