Daily Sabah logo

Politics
Diplomacy Legislation War On Terror EU Affairs Elections News Analysis
TÜRKİYE
Istanbul Education Investigations Minorities Expat Corner Diaspora
World
Mid-East Europe Americas Asia Pacific Africa Syrian Crisis Islamophobia
Business
Automotive Economy Energy Finance Tourism Tech Defense Transportation News Analysis
Lifestyle
Health Environment Travel Food Fashion Science Religion History Feature Expat Corner
Arts
Cinema Music Events Portrait Reviews Performing Arts
Sports
Football Basketball Motorsports Tennis
Opinion
Columns Op-Ed Reader's Corner Editorial
PHOTO GALLERY
JOBS ABOUT US RSS PRIVACY CONTACT US
© Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2026

Daily Sabah - Latest & Breaking News from Turkey | Istanbul

  • Politics
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • Elections
    • News Analysis
  • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Expat Corner
    • Diaspora
  • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • Islamophobia
  • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
  • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
  • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Reviews
    • Performing Arts
  • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
  • Gallery
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
  • TV

Death toll in US 'Mother of All Bombs' attack on Daesh increases to 94

by

KABUL Apr 15, 2017 - 12:00 am GMT+3
No Image
by Apr 15, 2017 12:00 am

At least 94 Daesh terrorists including four key commanders were killed in Afghanistan after the US dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on a cave complex in Nangarhar province, the provincial government said Saturday.

Local district chief Mohammad Ismail Shinwari said no civilian casualties were inflicted as civilians living in the area of the bombing had been evacuated by the Afghan military.

The target of the massive bomb was a Daesh command centre hidden in a mountainous area that was hard to destroy with conventional bombs. A 300 meter long tunnel, along with large amounts of light and heavy weapons and munition were destroyed in the bombing, the Afghan defence ministry said Friday.

"This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against ISIS-K," US General John Nicholson said in a statement after the bombing.



The GBU-43 bomb, which goes by the acronym MOAB for "massive ordnance air blast bomb," also known as the "mother of all bombs," was dropped on the tunnel complex in Achin from a US aircraft at 7:32 pm (1502 GMT) the Pentagon said.

The explosion was so large that it broke windows and shook the ground kilometers away.

"In my whole life I have never heard such (a)huge boom," Malik Mohammad, a tribal elder in Achin district told dpa Saturday.

Haji Mohammad Sadeq, another tribal elder said civilians in the immediate area of the Daesh hideout "left the area long ago," while others who remained were alerted by Afghan forces through mosques.

Nangarhar's Achin district is the birthplace of Daesh in Afghanistan. The organization announced the establishment of its Khorasan branch, covering Afghanistan and Pakistan, in January 2015.

It was the first time that Daesh had officially spread outside the Arab world.

The bomb, weighing nearly 10,000-kilogram, is guided by GPS and is the most powerful non-nuclear bomb that the United States possesses.

  • shortlink copied
  • Last Update: Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am
    KEYWORDS
    world
    The Daily Sabah Newsletter
    Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey, it’s region and the world.
    You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    No Image
    Mass fish die-off alarms residents in Iraq's Najaf province
    PHOTOGALLERY
    • POLITICS
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • News Analysis
    • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Diaspora
    • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • İslamophobia
    • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
    • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Performing Arts
    • Reviews
    • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
    • Photo gallery
    • DS TV
    • Jobs
    • privacy
    • about us
    • contact us
    • RSS
    © Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2021