Curfew lifted in Turkey's southeastern Silopi district after successful ops against PKK
by Daily Sabah
ISTANBULJan 18, 2016 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Daily Sabah
Jan 18, 2016 12:00 am
After weeks of curfews imposed on the Silopi district of Şırnak, the governorate of the province announced the lifting of the daytime curfew.
According to a written statement released by the Şırnak Governorate on Monday, the curfew that started on Dec. 15 will no longer be imposed from 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., starting today. The announcement came days after government officials announced that security forces have dealt a heavy blow to the PKK terrorist organization.
Amid debates over how the government's plan will re-establish public order and facilitate better quality of life for Turkish citizens in the region, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said that an effective plan will be launched once ditches have been removed. The fight against terror will continue after ground operations end, as well. The Family and Social Policies Ministry, National Education Ministry and the Youth and Sports Ministry will reportedly join forces with universities and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) with various projects in attempts to revitalize the entire region and prevent the area from becoming a breeding ground for terrorism.
As counterterror operations continue in Turkey's southeast, PKK terrorists have been eradicated from the Silopi district of Şırnak province, according to a statement from a wounded special operations officer receiving treatment in Samsun last week.
Mustafa Kemal Hançer was wounded in a PKK bomb attack in Silopi before being transferred to Samsun for treatment, where he declared that the district is now free of terrorists. Asserting that security forces are exhausting every effort to re-establish public order in the region, Hançer said that meticulous operations are ongoing there.