Almost 20,000 FETÖ members in judiciary, army and police dismissed
by Daily Sabah
ISTANBULJul 19, 2016 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Daily Sabah
Jul 19, 2016 12:00 am
The government is continuing its investigations into suspected members of the Gülenist Terror Organization (FETÖ), which took part in the coup attempt on Friday, and its extensions in the country's judiciary and bureaucracy. Almost 20,000 suspected FETÖ members have been dismissed so far since the failed coup attempt.
According to a statement released by the Interior Ministry yesterday, 8,777 state personnel, including governors and district governors who served in Ankara and provincial institutions have been dismissed for being linked with the FETÖ.
Furthermore, 7,899 security officers were also dismissed as part of the FETÖ investigation. The current number of FETÖ members in the Finance Ministry that are to be dismissed is 1,500, Finance Minister Naci Ağbal said yesterday after a Cabinet meeting. "This figure might increase," he added. Regarding the investigation into the network that was behind the coup attempt, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said that 7,453 suspects have been detained in relation to the coup attempt, including 100 police officers, 6,038 soldiers, 755 judges and prosecutors and 650 civilians, adding that these numbers could also increase.
Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ said Sunday that dozens of arrest warrants have been issued for judges and prosecutors deemed government opponents.
The government has also dismissed nearly 3,000 judges and prosecutors from their posts, and investigators are preparing court cases to send suspected conspirators to trial on charges of attempting to overthrow the government.
Security forces on Sunday rounded up 52 more military officers for alleged coup links. State-run Anadolu Agency reported that a detention order has been issued for 110 judges and prosecutors in Istanbul alone for their alleged involvement with the group reportedly responsible for the failed coup. An Ankara court on Monday arrested 99 more suspects, including Air Force Brigadier General Hakan Evrim, who are accused of being involved in the failed coup attempt.
In addition, 14 generals, including Chief of Operations Eyüp Gürler, have been arrested in relation to the failed coup attempt, reports said on Monday.