Removal of coup supporters normal, CHP's Kılıçdaroğlu says

ANADOLU AGENCY
ANKARA
Published 28.07.2016 00:00
Updated 28.07.2016 15:08
emSabah Photo/em
Sabah Photo

Turkey's main opposition leader Thursday expressed backing for the government's dismissal of Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO) members from the Turkish army.

"Changing the constitutional system and disabling an elected government through a coup are crimes under our laws," Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, leader of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP), told news channel CNN Turk.

"For this reason, the involvement of those [pro-coup soldiers] in the armed forces is not right, their dismissal is normal," he stressed.

Since the July 15 failed military coup, a total of 149 generals and admirals have so far been expelled from Turkey's land, naval, and air forces.

In addition, more than 1,000 military officers have been dismissed.

But Kılıçdaroğlu also urged that the purge be carried out carefully, so as not to remove innocent soldiers from the army.

Turkey declared a state of emergency following the coup attempt that resulted in the deaths of nearly 250 people and more than 2,000 injuries.

The government has said the deadly coup attempt was organized by the followers of U.S.-based Fetullah Gülen.

Gülen is also accused of a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary, forming what is commonly known as the parallel state.

Approximately 13,000 members of the military, police, and judiciary as well as civil servants have been arrested since the failed putsch, and tens of thousands more removed from their posts.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter