Daily Sabah logo

Politics
Diplomacy Legislation War On Terror EU Affairs Elections News Analysis
TÜRKİYE
Istanbul Education Investigations Minorities Expat Corner Diaspora
World
Mid-East Europe Americas Asia Pacific Africa Syrian Crisis Islamophobia
Business
Automotive Economy Energy Finance Tourism Tech Defense Transportation News Analysis
Lifestyle
Health Environment Travel Food Fashion Science Religion History Feature Expat Corner
Arts
Cinema Music Events Portrait Reviews Performing Arts
Sports
Football Basketball Motorsports Tennis
Opinion
Columns Op-Ed Reader's Corner Editorial
PHOTO GALLERY
JOBS ABOUT US RSS PRIVACY CONTACT US
© Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2026

Daily Sabah - Latest & Breaking News from Turkey | Istanbul

  • Politics
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • Elections
    • News Analysis
  • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Expat Corner
    • Diaspora
  • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • Islamophobia
  • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
  • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
  • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Reviews
    • Performing Arts
  • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
  • Gallery
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
  • TV

US will not supply arms to YPG ‘as of now,’ senior commander says

by Daily Sabah

ISTANBUL Nov 05, 2015 - 12:00 am GMT+3
YPG soldiers walk near the town entrance circle heading to their strongholds in Kobani, Syria (AP Photo)
YPG soldiers walk near the town entrance circle heading to their strongholds in Kobani, Syria (AP Photo)
by Daily Sabah Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am
The U.S. will not provide ammunition or equipment to the PKK-affiliated Democratic Union Party's (PYD) armed People's Protection Units (YPG) "as of now," Colonel Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman of the U.S.-led coalition for the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), said Thursday via teleconference in a meeting at the Pentagon.

He said: "As of now, we are not providing weapons or ammunition to the YPG. The weapons that we've provided thus far, with the ammunition that we've provided in our one airdrop executed, was for the Syrian-Arab coalition," adding future resupplies by the country will also be for the predominantly Arab Syrian opposition members.


Warren also said they are in very close contact with Ankara, which is a NATO ally and recognizes the PKK as a terrorist organization, along with pledging to address Ankara's concerns regarding its national security interests.

Previously on Oct. 16, Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said at a press briefing that some ammunition airdropped by the U.S. in Syria last weekend was recovered by the YPG. However, after the briefing he retracted his remarks as the Pentagon tried to clarify Cook's statement, saying that only newly established Syrian Arab forces recovered supplies.

"Sunday's airdrop in northern Syria was intended for and successfully delivered to vetted Syrian Arab forces. We have no indication at this time that any of that equipment was shared with any other groups," according to a note sent to journalists after the briefing.

Speaking to PKK-affiliated Fırat News Agency, Democratic Union Party (PYD) Co-Chair Salih Muslim confirmed that the U.S. air force airdropped 50 tons of weapons and ammunition and the YPG received the delivery.


It was also reported that the PKK wants to use the YPG as a cover for obtaining arms, including Stinger missiles, in clashes with Turkish security forces.

Reportedly on Oct. 14, the intelligence leading Turkish officials to believe that American weapons are in the PKK's hands came from Turkish airstrikes against PKK arms depots in Northern Iraq in the past few months. Special Forces and local intelligence showed that anti-tank mines, rocket launchers, machine guns and anti-aircraft guns given by the U.S. to the PYD were stored in these armories.
  • shortlink copied
  • Last Update: Nov 05, 2015 9:00 pm
    KEYWORDS
    politics
    The Daily Sabah Newsletter
    Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey, it’s region and the world.
    You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    No Image
    3,000 and more to come: Turkish man boasts huge jersey collection
    PHOTOGALLERY
    • POLITICS
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • News Analysis
    • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Diaspora
    • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • İslamophobia
    • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
    • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Performing Arts
    • Reviews
    • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
    • Photo gallery
    • DS TV
    • Jobs
    • privacy
    • about us
    • contact us
    • RSS
    © Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2021