Daily Sabah logo

Politics
Diplomacy Legislation War On Terror EU Affairs Elections News Analysis
TÜRKİYE
Istanbul Education Investigations Minorities Expat Corner Diaspora
World
Mid-East Europe Americas Asia Pacific Africa Syrian Crisis Islamophobia
Business
Automotive Economy Energy Finance Tourism Tech Defense Transportation News Analysis
Lifestyle
Health Environment Travel Food Fashion Science Religion History Feature Expat Corner
Arts
Cinema Music Events Portrait Reviews Performing Arts
Sports
Football Basketball Motorsports Tennis
Opinion
Columns Op-Ed Reader's Corner Editorial
PHOTO GALLERY
JOBS ABOUT US RSS PRIVACY CONTACT US
© Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2026

Daily Sabah - Latest & Breaking News from Turkey | Istanbul

  • Politics
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • Elections
    • News Analysis
  • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Expat Corner
    • Diaspora
  • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • Islamophobia
  • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
  • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
  • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Reviews
    • Performing Arts
  • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
  • Gallery
  • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
  • TV

Germany: NSU murders targeting Turkish immigrants to be made into movie

by Daily Sabah with DPA

ISTANBUL May 05, 2015 - 12:00 am GMT+3
No Image
by Daily Sabah with DPA May 05, 2015 12:00 am
The Germany-based Constantin Film announced on Monday that they will make a movie featuring the racist murders which had targeted predominantly Turkish immigrants between 2000 and 2007.

The serial murders were a series of attacks which left ten people dead and one wounded. The attackers called themselves National Socialist Underground (NSU). The far-right German terrorist group's only surviving member is now on trial.


Portraits of eight murder victims (DPA Photo)

The Munich-Constantin Film's movie will tell the story of how three neo-Nazis in the 1990s founded the NSU, which later went on to carry out 14 bank robberies, the 2001 and 2004 Cologne-bombings, and the serial murders of immigrants.

The movie is to be based on the German-language book Heimatschutz: Der Staat und die Mordserie des NSU ("Homeland Security: The Government and Serial Murders of NSU" in English) which was written by Stefan Aust and Dirk Laabs and was published last year.

The authors reconstruct the neo-Nazi's activities in Germany and provide a look into Germany's domestic intelligence service and its fight against right-wing terrorism, the company Constantin Film said.


The movie is being produced by Oliver Berben and Martin Moszkowicz, who made Carnage and Pope Joan together. Information on the cast has yet to be released.

The announcement was made as the NSU trial has been under way for two years in Munich. The only surviving member of NSU, Beate Zschaepe, 40, faces 27 charges, including murder and bombings.

According to the indictment, the NSU murdered 10 people "out of racist and anti-state motives" from 2000 to 2007. Eight of the victims were Turkish, one was Greek and one was a German policewoman.

The NSU's other two members, Uwe Boehnhardt and Uwe Mundlos, died in what investigators said was a murder-suicide in 2001 as police were closing in on them after they fled the scene of a botched bank robbery.

Four other men from the neo-Nazi scene are also in court on charges of abetting murder and supporting the NSU.

Constantin Film already has made one of Aust's books into a film, The Baader Meinhof Complex, in 2008. It was about the German leftist terrorist group Red Army Faction, which carried out bombings, robberies, kidnappings and killings in the late 1960s and 1970s.

"Both have a lot in common: It's about terrorism, German history and fractures within a society," Aust said. "But above all, it's about attempts by the police and intelligence service to fight violence and with it how they enter into a sinister alliance with right-wing perpetrators."
  • shortlink copied
  • Last Update: May 05, 2015 3:58 pm
    KEYWORDS
    arts
    The Daily Sabah Newsletter
    Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey, it’s region and the world.
    You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
    No Image
    3rd year of 'Solidarity of the Century': 455,357 units completed
    PHOTOGALLERY
    • POLITICS
    • Diplomacy
    • Legislation
    • War On Terror
    • EU Affairs
    • News Analysis
    • TÜRKİYE
    • Istanbul
    • Education
    • Investigations
    • Minorities
    • Diaspora
    • World
    • Mid-East
    • Europe
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Africa
    • Syrian Crisis
    • İslamophobia
    • Business
    • Automotive
    • Economy
    • Energy
    • Finance
    • Tourism
    • Tech
    • Defense
    • Transportation
    • News Analysis
    • Lifestyle
    • Health
    • Environment
    • Travel
    • Food
    • Fashion
    • Science
    • Religion
    • History
    • Feature
    • Expat Corner
    • Arts
    • Cinema
    • Music
    • Events
    • Portrait
    • Performing Arts
    • Reviews
    • Sports
    • Football
    • Basketball
    • Motorsports
    • Tennis
    • Opinion
    • Columns
    • Op-Ed
    • Reader's Corner
    • Editorial
    • Photo gallery
    • DS TV
    • Jobs
    • privacy
    • about us
    • contact us
    • RSS
    © Turkuvaz Haberleşme ve Yayıncılık 2021