The Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, regarding the incident, said that the ministry would release a statement after holding talks with the Turkish fishermen, according to various media reports. He said, "We do not favor tension, [this incident] needs to be overcome through dialogue."
"We have seen the Russian statement," Çavuşoğlu told reporters in Rome, where he had been following an international conference on Libya.
"But we are always saying: 'We are not in favor of tension'. We are in favor of overcoming tension through dialogue," he added, stating that Turkey's initiatives following "Nov. 24's sad event" -- the downing of a Russian warplane -- had always been in that direction.
Speaking to Doğan news agency the Turkish boat's captain denied that it had his boat been fired at, saying: "It's a lie. There is no such thing."
"We passed within a mile of a warship which was at anchor. We didn't even know that it was a Russian ship, we thought it was a NATO ship. We didn't realise we had been fired at," Muzaffer Geçici said.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.