2 Palestinians killed during Israeli raids in West Bank
by Daily Sabah
RAMALLAHJun 22, 2014 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Daily Sabah
Jun 22, 2014 12:00 am
Two Palestinians were killed in the early hours on Sunday during dawn raids by Israeli forces on the West Bank, according to Palestinian Health Ministry officials.
One Palestinian man was found dead in a building entrance in a central Ramallah district following clashes which had erupted when Israeli forces attacked the area with gunfire, rubber bullets and teargas Sunday morning, a medical source told Anadolu Agency (AA).
Another young man was killed in the northern city of Nablus after he sustained four gunshot wounds to the chest when Israeli forces attacked the western Al-Ain refugee camp, according to Tarif Ashour, the Health Ministry's media coordinator.
Scores of Palestinians have also been injured in clashes with Israeli forces during attacks in several areas of the occupied West Bank using live ammunition, rubber bullets and teargas.
The Israeli raids on the occupied West Bank come as part of a search operation for three Jewish teenagers who had gone missing earlier this month from a Jewish settlement in the West Bank.
Angered by the clashes, hundreds of young Palestinian men attacked Ramallah's police station to protest against the absence of Palestinian Authority security forces. The protesters destroyed a number of Palestinian police vehicles and hurled rocks at the police station, to which police forces responded with gunfire, injuring several protesters.
"[Palestinian] police forces hide when the Israeli army attacks us," one protester told AA, requesting anonymity. "They exist just to serve the occupation rather than protect us," he added.
Tensions in the Palestinian territories have run high since three teenage settlers went missing from the Jewish Gush Etzion settlement bloc, located near the southern West Bank city of Hebron.
In recent days, Israeli security forces have detained scores of Palestinians, including leading Hamas members, lawmakers and former government ministers, throughout the occupied West Bank.
Israel accuses the Gaza-based resistance movement Hamas of kidnapping the settlers – a claim Hamas denies.