Barcelona star Lionel Messi has the highest value in the transfer market of all current players, according to studies done by the CIES Football Observatory. The report also says that Eden Hazard has a higher market value than Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi is rated at 280 million euros, but Ronaldo (124 million euros) has fallen down to third place, behind Hazard, who is rated at 148 million euros. The reason behind that is said to be the fact that Ronaldo is six years older than the Belgian, and that his contract also runs for a duration two years less than that of Hazard.
The list contains only six players older than 30, who are - Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, Andres Iniesta, Santi Cazorla, Thiago Silva and Carlos Tevez. Of the players in the top 20, only Luis Suarez (rated at 66 million euros) and Cesc Fabregas (64 million euros) are older than 27.
Most players on the list are under the age of 23, with Raheem Sterling, Paul Pogba and Harry Kane featuring high on the list. Considering that Sterling is only 20 and has refused to sign an extension with Liverpool while his current contract expires in 2017, he could be worth as much as 81 million euros.
Pogba has been getting a lot of attention from the biggest clubs in the world and was part of the Juventus squad that reached the finals of the UEFA Champions League. His value is said to be around 77 million euros.
Kane, who had a breakthrough season with Tottenham is worth 58 million euros, 2 million more than Gareth Bale, who moved from Tottenham to Real Madrid for 100 million euros in the summer of 2013.
Two Turkish-origin footballers have also entered the list. Mesut Özil, who was transferred by Arsenal from Real Madrid in 2013-14 for 50 million euros, ranked 40th with a value between 34.1-37.6 million euros. The 26-year-old Özil was ranked eighth with a value of 49.2-57.2 million euros last year. Liverpool's Emre Can is ranked 53rd and his value is said to be between 30.7-33.8 million euros.
The Top 20 players with the highest transfer value in Europe's Big 5 leagues (valuations in euro and in millions):
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - 255.3-280.8
2. Eden Hazard (Chelsea) - 135.4-148.9
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) - 113.3-124.7
4. Neymar (Barcelona) - 89.6-98.5
5. Sergio Agüero (Manchester City) - 78.2-86.0
6. Raheem Sterling (Liverpool) - 73.7-81.0
7. Paul Pogba (Juventus)- 70.3-77.3
8. Diego Costa (Chelsea) - 69.9-76.9
9. Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) - 67.8-74.6
10. James Rodriguez (Real Madrid) - 62.5-68.8
11. Luis Suarez (Barcelona) - 60.0-66.0
12. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) - 59.0-64.9
13. Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea)- 58.7-64.5
14. Isco (Real Madrid) - 57.2-62.9
15. Harry Kane (Tottenham) - 53.5-58.9
16. Gareth Bale (Real Madrid) - 51.3-56.4
17. Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool) - 50.4-55.5
18. Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea) - 50.3-55.3
19. Oscar (Chelsea) - 47.5-52.3
20. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) - 44.6-49.1
40. Mesut Özil (Arsenal) - 34.1-37.6
53. Emre Can (Liverpool) - 30.7-33.8