Michel Platini's appeal against a six-year ban from football imposed by FIFA failed and the French legend will now resign as UEFA's president, his lawyers said Monday.
According to the lawyers, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) only ruled that the ban against the 60-year-old Platini over a suspect payment from FIFA be cut to four years.
"Michel Platini announces that he will resign as president of UEFA at the organization's next congress," said a statement which added that he was "deeply disappointed" by the decision.
On December 21, 2015, a FIFA court banned President Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini for eight years after finding them guilty of abusing their positions over a two million Swiss francs payment that was made to the suspended head of European football.
Both were "immediately" banned from all football activity. Blatter, FIFA's president since 1998, was fined 50,000 Swiss francs ($50,000/46,300 euros). Platini was fined 80,000 Swiss francs.
Blatter and Platini, who had been the most powerful men in football, insisted that the payment made in 2011 had been legitimate following an oral contract.
But FIFA's judges said the "assertion of an oral agreement was determined as not convincing and was rejected by the chamber".
The statement by the court said both showed "abusive execution" of their powers.
Blatter's "actions did not show commitment to an ethical attitude, failing to respect all applicable laws and regulations as well as FIFA's regulatory framework," the court said.
In the case of Platini, the court said he "failed to act with complete credibility and integrity, showing unawareness of the importance of his duties".
For Blatter, 79, the lengthy ban almost certainly marks the end of his career in football administration.
For Platini, 60, the suspension has derailed his hopes of replacing Blatter at the top of world football's governing body, after having been the favorite to claim the post.