Turkish football club Beşiktaş said on Monday that team coach Şenol Güneş will not consider the Turkish football federation (TFF)'s offer for the national team's manager position and will remain as Beşiktaş's coach in the next season.
TFF President Yıldırım Demirören had an early meeting with Güneş on Monday and offered him the position for the next four matches after the federation announced last week that it parted ways with former national team coach Fatih Terim.
After the meeting, Beşiktaş President Fikret Orman made a statement, saying Güneş met Demirören out of courtesy and the coach cannot be in charge of both Beşiktaş and the national team.
The club also released a statement and said Güneş declined the offer and will focus on coaching Beşiktaş for its upcoming Champions League match.
On the day the TFF announced Terim's resignation, Güneş also said he will not be managing two teams at the same time, however, sources reported that Güneş was leaning towards coaching the national team and was ready to accept Demirören's offer.
On Wednesday, the TFF said in a statement on its website that the federation and Terim had been worn out by media reports of "non-football" incidents.
The resignation comes after images on social media earlier this month showed Terim allegedly taking part in a fight at a kebab house neighboring his son-in-law's restaurant in the Aegean province of Izmir.
Terim, later on, claimed that he did not resign from the top job but was in fact sacked by the federation.
Güneş, the former Turkish international goalkeeper who guided Turkey to third place in the 2002 World Cup, has turned Beşiktaş into by far Turkey's most consistent side and helped the team retain the Turkish Super Lig title in 2016 for the first time since the early 1990s.