Long and healthy life takes regular diet and exercies

ZEYNEP ESRA İSTANBULLU
ISTANBUL
Published 04.06.2015 00:22
Updated 04.06.2015 00:25
Long and healthy   life takes regular   diet and exercies

Those who want to enjoy a long and healthy life can ensure it by having a diverse and healthy diet as well as partaking in exercise, while healthy aging is 30 percent determined by genetics

Associate Professor İsmet Tamer said only 30 percent of healthy aging is related to genetics and stressed that the remaining 70 percent is totally in the hands of individuals. Tamer shared important tips on how to age healthier. First of all, he invited those who want to spend their old age in a healthy way to change their current lifestyles. When a balanced and individualized diet is supported with a healthy and active lifestyle, one can easily maintain their ideal weight, a fully functioning digestive system, a healthy brain and joints as well as luminous skin, normal blood pressure and blood sugar, according to Tamer.

When a balanced and individualized diet is supported with a healthy and active lifestyle, one can easily maintain an ideal weight, fully functioning digestive system, healthy brain and joints as well as luminous skin, normal blood pressure and blood sugar

He said people should adapt their diet in line with their age, gender and physiological state. "The most important element of a healthy and balanced diet is variety. Macronutrients such as fat, carbohydrates and proteins as well as micronutrients that play a significant role in energy metabolism, such as vitamins and minerals, should be consumed properly. The nutrients that are needed for the proper functioning and development of the body, repair of aged and damaged cells and tissues and protection of the body maintain your physical appearance and life," he said. According to Tamer, the kind and duration of physical activity also determines the energy needs of our bodies. If the amount of physical activity declines while the energy being stored remains the same, excessive energy emerges and this energy is stored as fat. Tamer underscored that exercise should be a part of our lives.



He said those who exercise regularly are able to maintain their weight even if they consume high-energy foods. "A person, who regularly runs for an hour at a speed of 6 kilometers per hour burns 1,000 calories," Tamer added. He emphasized that a balanced consumption of proteins, carbohydrates and fat is important for people who are exercising regularly and said the consumption of milk and dairy products are essential for those who exercise to maintain their muscle mass and to increase it. Stressing that daily protein consumption should be between 0.8 and 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, he said this rate increases to 1.2-1.5 grams for people who exercise or play sports. He also advised women to consume 75 grams and men to consume 100 grams of protein per day.

Explaining that consuming liquids is one of the most crucial elements for people who regularly play sports, Tamer said the body loses 1 liter of liquids during a one-hour exercise session. Tamer advised that people should drink two glasses of water before exercising and consume a glass of water every 15 minutes.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter