Various diet programs are used to prevent obesity and excess weight, one of the leading health problems of the modern day. Among them, detox programs have been especially popular over recent years. However, detox can lead to some health problems when misapplied, but when done the right way and under the supervision of an expert, it prevents illnesses and helps with weight loss.
Keep healthy, lose weight
The liver, kidneys, intestines and skin are working unremittingly and perfectly to protect the body from toxins and detox the body. So, detox must be applied not to lose weight, but to support this working mechanism. Instead of consuming only one type of nutritional element, detoxifying the body with small adjustments that will support the body's detox system will help losing weight in time. None of the organic or vegetable products sold under the name of detox can be effective on their own and they might pose risks to the health.
Vegetables and fruits are the key to a proper autumn detox.
Avoid wrong detoxes
In misapplied detoxes, the intestines generally tend to overwork and people can have some intestinal problems such as diarrhea. Such detoxes can upset the intestinal flora, kill probiotics and increase the intestinal permeability. Instead of detoxes that will push and purge intestines, which might disturb the immune system, it will be adequate to protect and increase the probiotics in the intestines.
In order to protect intestinal flora:
l Intestinal motility must be enhanced by consuming fiber-rich raw vegetables and fruits. This prevents the lingering and reabsorption of toxins in the intestines.
Homemade yoghurt, kefir, turnip and pickles can help the intake of a good amount of probiotics. Homemade vinegar or brine can be used as salad dressing.Consuming dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, rocket, cress, dill and parsley will enable the intake of fiber and vitamin C, a strong antioxidant. Pulpy vegetable juices also have the same function.
Add oils on your detox
Having oil-free diets have some negative effects on liver detox. Bile, an important component of detoxing, passes down to the intestines during fat absorption. Complete removal of fat from diet causes a decrease in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and hampers detoxing the liver. Instead of having oil-free meals, meals prepared with healthy and quality oils must be preferred.
Try homemade whey
The liver is one of the most important detox elements of the body. For the excretion of the toxins solved in fat through urinating and defecating, the toxins firstly need to be detoxified in the liver. During the detoxification, the primary antioxidant used by the liver is glutathione, which is made up of the amino acids cysteine, glycine and glutamic acid.
To increase the glutathione levels in the body and help liver detox:
1. Homemade whey, which is rich in cysteine, can be added to vegetable juices.
2. Having nutrients rich in sulfur, especially green and white vegetables such as garlic, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, cabbage and Brussels sprouts, is important for helping the liver detox and DNA repair.
3. Yellow, orange and red fruits and vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, apricots, lemons, pomegranates and strawberries must be consumed for their contributions to the renewal and protection of cell membranes with the carotenoid and lycopene they contain.
4. As darker colored fruits and vegetables are richer in antioxidants; blackberry, cranberry, blueberry, beet, purple cabbage, red grapes and dry prunes must be consumed during detox. Thanks to their resveratrol and phenolic compounds, blue and purple colored fruits and vegetables are effective in protecting liver health and cell renewal.
5. Spices like ginger, turmeric and cardamom are crucial for cell renewal. Supporting the immune system, these spices are important for liver detox.
6. Daily intake of water is also important for the excretion of toxins from kidneys. If you are having trouble drinking the recommended level of water, try adding a slice of vegetable or fruit to your water to give it an aromatic taste.
7. Having omega-3 rich foods such as fish, linseed, purslane and walnut helps liver detox.
8. Consuming avocado is also important for liver detox since it contains unsaturated fatty acids and is rich in major antioxidant vitamins A, C and E.
9. Olive oil should be added to salads and vegetable juices.