Arda Turan leaves police HQ after interrogation over spat with pop singer Berkay

Published 11.10.2018 19:10
Updated 15.10.2018 16:47
Arda Turan leaves police HQ after interrogation over spat with pop singer Berkay

A prosecutor in Istanbul's Beşiktaş district issued an arrest warrant late Thursday for Turkish footballer Arda Turan over charges of willful and malicious injury and threatening with a gun in a spat with pop singer Berkay.

Turan was taken to the Beşiktaş police headquarters and left after three hours of interrogation.

Earlier this week, Turan attacked Berkay at an Istanbul nightclub and broke his nose, according to a Habertürk report.

According to the report, Turkish pop singer Berkay was with his wife, Özlem Ada Şahin, at an establishment in upscale Emirgan neighborhood when the incident happened.

Şahin told Habertürk reporter Esin Övet that Turan said he would have liked to make a move on her if he were not married to his current wife, Aslıhan Doğan.

Before Berkay had an opportunity to respond, Turan attacked the pop singer, who was then taken directly to the hospital for surgery, Şahin said.

In a bizarre sequence of events, Turan then went to the hospital where the singer was being treated clutching a gun and begging to be shot and forgiven, Habertürk said.

Turan later took to Twitter to explain the situation, stating that it was just a misunderstanding, not a matter of honor, and that both parties sorted it out.

Troublemaker Turan in May was fined $9,200 and banned for a record 16 matches after attacking an assistant referee during a Turkish Super League match.

The Medipol Başakşehir midfielder was referred to the PFDK for charges of actions against sportsmanship, insulting and threatening in the match against Sivasspor on May 8.

In 2017, Turan was forced to take a break from his career after being sacked from the Turkish national football team squad by then-manager Fatih Terim upon verbally and physically assaulting a Turkish sports journalist on a plane that was carrying the national team from Macedonia's Skopje to Italy's Trieste.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter