The Israeli government has remained tight-lipped regarding a Tuesday announcement by Palestinian faction Hamas that a ceasefire deal had been reached between Israel and Palestinian resistance factions.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office has yet to issue a statement confirming the reported ceasefire agreement.
The Israeli army has likewise declined to confirm or deny the reports.
Earlier Tuesday, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said that Palestinian factions had reached a ceasefire deal with Israel.
"The deal has been reached; we are now awaiting an official announcement from Cairo," Abu Zuhri said in a press release.
A Palestinian source told Anadolu Agency that Egypt was expected to formally announce the deal late Tuesday.
According to the source, the deal calls for reopening Gaza's borders and expanding the zone in which Palestinian fishermen are allowed to ply their trade to six miles off the Gaza coast.
The source said Palestinian-Israeli negotiations on other issues-including the release of prisoners and a Gaza seaport-would resume one month later.
Earlier Tuesday, senior Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh had said that Palestinian factions were on the verge of reaching "political understandings" in the Gaza Strip.
"We are about to reach political understandings that will crown the steadfastness of our people and the performance of the resistance," Haniyeh told the pro-Hamas Al-Aqsa television channel.
Hostilities flared up again last week following the collapse of indirect, Egypt-hosted talks aimed at reaching a durable ceasefire deal.
Since hostilities first erupted on June 7, at least 2140 Palestinians have been killed-and nearly 11,000 injured-in relentless Israeli attacks, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.
Thousands of homes across the coastal enclave, meanwhile, have been partially or completely destroyed by devastating Israeli bombardments.
Over the same period, at least 68 Israelis-64 soldiers and four civilians-have been killed, according to Israeli figures.
The number of Palestinian fatalities from Israel's current offensive has now surpassed the combined death toll from two previous operations against Gaza, including Israel's bloody "Operation Cast Lead" in 2008/09 in which at least 1500 Palestinians were killed over the course of three weeks.
to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the
used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan
ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen