Syrian regime's military has said it is extending a cease-fire in the city of Aleppo and its rural areas for 48 hours starting after midnight Tuesday.
The military statement published late Monday came a couple of hours before the current local cease-fire was set to expire. There were limited breaches of the five-day cease-fire from both sides.
The United Sates has however said earlier that a new agreement with Russia would replace localized, piecemeal cease-fires in Syria with a revived, nationwide truce, as world leaders struggled to get faltering peace talks back on track.
It was unclear whether Washington's announcement would mean more cease-fires will be announced. A joint U.S.-Russia statement made no explicit reference to ending the practice of pursuing partial truces.
Aleppo has seen the worst violence since an earlier cease-fire reached in late February was breached. Nearly 300 civilians were killed in several days.
Syria's military said the new cease-fire would expire at midnight Wednesday.
Multiple air raids Monday struck opposition-held areas, two opposition monitoring groups reported.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and the Local Coordination Committee said the airstrikes hit several areas in Aleppo, including the neighborhood of Rashideen.
Opposition activists also reported air raids and shelling on the town of Khan Touman, just south of Aleppo. The battle left at least 13 members of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards force dead as well as troops and pro-government gunmen.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.