Turkey's Prime Minister Davutoğlu calls on all parties to unite against terrorism
by Anadolu Agency
ANKARAOct 11, 2015 - 12:00 am GMT+3
by Anadolu Agency
Oct 11, 2015 12:00 am
Turkey's Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu made a call to leaders of all political parties to adopt a common stance against terrorism following the deadly bomb attack in Ankara Saturday.
Twin explosions targeted a peace rally in Turkey's capital in the morning, leaving at least 86 dead and 186 injured.
During a press conference, the Prime Minister said: "Let's not assess terror according to the perpetrator or to the victims. The victims of all terrorist attacks are victims and it is our duty to protect the rights of all victims. Whoever perpetrates terror is guilty. They are the enemies of humanity and mass murderers. We should stand shoulder to shoulder against them."
Davutoğlu also said he planned to meet with leaders of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) and the Republican People's Party (CHP), respectively Devlet Bahçeli and Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, in a mutual stand against terrorism.
Later on Saturday, the prime minister's office announced that Davutoğlu made invitations to Bahçeli and Kılıçdaroğlu for a meeting. Kılıçdaroğlu accepted and would meet the prime minister at 15.00 on Sunday in Cankaya Palace in the capital, while Bahçeli turned down the invitation, the prime ministry said.
In his speech, Davutoğlu criticized the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş who earlier blamed the government for the attack.
"It is not suitable for a chairman of a party that is represented in the parliament to hold a state responsible by drawing conclusions regarding the attackers while there is no certain data on the incident and, at the same time, by ignoring the numerous martyred soldiers and guards killed by the mines placed by the PKK or the civilians killed in a soup restaurant in a PKK bomb attack."
Two civilians died and three policemen in a PKK attack in a soup restaurant in Diyarbakir on Sept. 11. More than150 Turkish security forces have been martyred and dozens of civilians killed since late July when the PKK renewed its armed campaign against the Turkish state.
"The culprits of the attack are currently making statements," said Dermitas pointing to a television as various government officials were reacting to the tragedy in Ankara.
Davutoğlu also stated that several potential suicide attackers had been apprehended in Istanbul and Ankara recently.
"Intelligence had been obtained that a group of suicide bombers would be led into Turkey from northern Iraq," he said. He added that one was apprehended in Istanbul and another in Ankara in the past three days.
CHP leader Kılıçdaroğlu expressed sadness over the gruesome incident and said: "Whatever our political view is, we all must jointly curse terrorism."
Kılıçdaroğlu said his party was ready for any type of cooperation with government officials to end terrorism.
"I said many times, am saying again; all political parties should have a say regarding terrorism without buts. Terror is a crime against humanity," added Kılıçdaroğlu.
Leader of the MHP Devlet Bahçeli said in a written statement that the country's unity, peace and security were the target of the attack.
"This attack was clearly held against Turkey and our social friendship," said Bahçeli.