U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's meeting with a specially selected group of Turkish journalists in Istanbul's Beşiktaş district on Friday drew a negative reaction of Turkish media as they said the meeting failed to interact with different parts of the news industry in Turkey.
Some journalists reported that they were told Biden was not planning to meet any media representatives during his visit, however the vice president met with four journalists who are known for their similar political opinions.
After the meeting, several journalists who were not invited to the meeting released a joint statement addressed to Biden and the U.S. embassy, saying "Mr. Vice President once said a government can't function fairly and transparently without freedom of the press or expression. Yet he only met like-minded journalists and neglected or dismissed the rest of the Turkish news industry, which is very diverse and rich."
Here is the complete list of journalists who signed the joint statement:
- Ali Ünal – Daily Sabah Ankara Representative
- Ardan Zentürk – Star daily, Columnist
- Ceren Kenar – Türkiye daily, Columnist
- Fadime Özkan – Star daily, Columnist
- Merve Şebnem Oruç – Yeni Şafak daily, Columnist
- Meryem İlayda Atlas – Lacivert Magazine, Editor-in-Chief
- Murat Çiçek – Star daily, Columnist
- Murat Kelkitoğlu – Akşam daily, Editor-in-Chief
- Nagehan Alçı – Milliyet daily, Columnist
- Nihal Bengisu Karaca – Habertürk daily, Columnist
- Özcan Tikit – Habertürk daily, Columnist
- Ragıp Soylu – Daily Sabah daily, Columnist
- Serdar Karagöz – Daily Sabah, Editor-in-Chief
- Sevil Nuriyeva – Star daily, Columnist
- Yahya Bostan – Sabah daily, Managing Editor
- Yıldıray Oğur – Türkiye daily, Columnist
- Yunus Göksu – Deputy Editor-in-Chief for Sabah.com.tr
to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the
used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan
ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen