President Abdullah Gül approved a bill on Monday which includes tightening restrictions on the sale and promotion of alcoholic beverages in a move that aligns Turkey's legislation on alcohol with those implemented by the U.S. and EU nations.
President Gül approved the legislation on tightening alcohol restrictions last night in the Çankaya Palace at the end of a 14-day period allocated for Gül's decision. The President had stated that he may resubmit the bill to the Assembly if he finds a discrepancy between the restrictions on sales of alc oholic beverages between the hours of 22:00-06:00. According to Presidential sources however, President Gül consulted with jurists in establishing that the new legislation was in adherence to the constitution.
What does the legislation include?
* Retailers will no longer be allowed to sell alcoholic beverages between the hours of 22:00-06:00.
* According to the bill, retail stores and facilities that serve alcohol for open consumption will have to be at least 100 meters' distance, from door to door, to teaching institutions, student dormitories and places of worship.
* The advertising of alcoholic beverages and promotion geared towards alcohol consumers will be prohibited.
* Imagery that encourages alcohol consumption showed on television shows, films and music videos released on television will no longer be permitted.
* Alcoholic beverages will not be sold to minors under the age of 18.
* Notices that warn of the dangers of consumption will be included in Turkish on the packaging of alcoholic beverages. The sale of alcoholic beverages that do not contain said warnings will be prohibited.
* With the exception of accommodation facilities, alcohol sales and consumption will not be allowed at any venue or facility situated along highways or state roads. Alcohol sales will also be prohibited in education, health and sports facilities as well as in coffee shops, patisseries and bridge clubs.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.