by Daily Sabah with Agencies
Jan 07, 2015 12:00 am
Two Nigerian nationals died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the central Turkish province of Konya yesterday.
Nigerian nationals Chekwube Nworah and Nowah Oliver were found dead in their apartment in Konya's Selçuklu district. Authorities said the two men died after inhaling poisonous fumes from a stove in the room they slept in. Investigators found the room did not have a ventilation system, which caused the fumes to fill the apartment.
The Nigerian men were among a group of factory workers from the same country working in Konya. Their neighbors told reporters that the men used a stove instead of natural gas system installed in their apartment building.
Carbon monoxide poisoning, either from natural gas equipment or a coal-burning stove, is a common cause of death and ailments in Turkey during the winter. Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas, is difficult to detect and kills the victim shortly after inhalation. Insufficient air circulation in residences is a major factor in deaths and poisonings.