About 100 workers in a sock factory in Central Anatolian province of Çankırı were admitted to the hospital after a chemical substance caused many employees to faint.
38 of the workers were referred to the district state hospital; whereas 62 were transported to nearby hospitals with 15 of the workers currently in critical condition.
The workers are being kept under close observation for further diagnosis.
Meanwhile, Dogan News Agency reported that 202 workers were poisoned and one of them is in critical condition.
A leak of tetrahydrothiophene, which causes headaches, nausea and palpitations if inhaled, was detected at a nearby furniture factory by a government emergency team.
The compound is used as an odorant in natural and liquid petroleum gas.
The industrial zone in Çankırı province where the leak occurred has been closed until Monday.
The Daily Sabah Newsletter
Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.