Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu has told Parliament that while many Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ) members have faced extradition from their countries, some have been told not to leave the European Union, the Schengen Area, and some African nations.
Speaking before Parliament's plenary and budget committee yesterday, Çavuşoğlu said Turkey's efforts led to the extradition of many fugitive Gülenists.
"Despite these efforts, some members of FETÖ were instructed to never step out of the Schengen Area and not to leave some African countries," the foreign minister said, adding that this clearly showed which countries were providing safe havens to Gülenists.
Asked about the specific countries, he said everyone knows which countries in Europe they are taking shelter in.
Çavuşoğlu said the foreign ministry has suspended a quarter of its diplomats over suspected ties to last year's failed coup attempt. Stating that the suspensions were based on "serious evidence," the foreign minister said, the number of those returning to their posts showed that the ministry had "not made a mistake."
Touching on FETÖ's activities in the U.S., Çavuşoğlu said Washington's ineffectiveness in the fight against FETÖ has shaken the Turkish people's feelings towards the U.S.
"It has also created tensions in bilateral relations," he said.
Turkey has repeatedly accused the EU states of harboring FETÖ-linked suspects after last year's July 15 coup attempt, in addition to ongoing support or inaction regarding members, supporters and sympathizers of the PKK for decades, amid rising clashes and terror attacks since mid-2015.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.