Taliban Spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid condemned the U.S. for carrying out a drone strike targeting a suspected suicide attacker in Kabul, which he said resulted in civilian casualties.
Speaking to Mujahid China's state television CGTN on Monday, Mujahid said seven people were killed in the drone attack, describing the U.S. action on foreign soil as unlawful.
"If there was any potential threat in Afghanistan, it should have been reported to us, not an arbitrary attack that has resulted in civilian casualties," Mujahid said in a written response to CGTN. Pentagon officials said the suicide car bomber had been preparing to attack the airport in Kabul, where U.S. troops were in the final stages of a withdrawal from Afghanistan, on behalf of Daesh-K, a local affiliate of the Daesh terrorist group that is an enemy of both the West and the Taliban.
U.S. Central Command said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties from Sunday's drone strike.
"We know that there were substantial and powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties," it said.
Mujahid had issued a similar condemnation of a U.S. drone strike on Saturday that killed two Daesh terrorists in the eastern province of Nangarhar. He said two women and a child were wounded in that attack.
Please click to read our informative text prepared pursuant to the Law on the Protection of Personal Data No. 6698 and to get information about the cookies used on our website in accordance with the relevant legislation.
6698 sayılı Kişisel Verilerin Korunması Kanunu uyarınca hazırlanmış aydınlatma metnimizi okumak ve sitemizde ilgili mevzuata uygun olarak kullanılan çerezlerle ilgili bilgi almak için lütfen tıklayınız.